Friday, June 21, 2013

Adrenaline Sickness

I don't have any better name for it right now, but I think that I have adrenaline sickness. The condition comes from too many shots of adrenaline into my system for too many years over nothing. Today it was the cat, again. The beast is very protective of his windows, the ones that are on my house. I suppose it's my house, maybe the house belongs to the cat too. The cat frightens the wits almost right out of me a couple of times each year. 'Wits' is the polite term for what is nearly scared out of me. The situation is approximately the same each time: enough time passes for me to let my guard down for just a moment. The cat is watching out one of his windows. I have something to do outside such as adjusting the sprinklers at the hose bib, and I raise my head to get the hissing of my life right in the ear. I manage a small act of levitation with both vertical and horizontal attributes as adrenaline shoots through my PTSD-overwhelmed system. Inside the house I am one of the good guys; outside I am the enemy. Why do I then make my amateur diagnosis of adrenaline sickness? The feeling of illness that comes from this little circus act does not go away as quickly as I think it would for a normal person.

As I take a few deep breaths and try to slow my heart rate back to something a little less insane, I feel slightly ill, a bit nauseous, and a bit more, uh, if 'wits' is what nearly escapes my body then I guess it would be, witty. My grass would benefit from fulfilling the feeling, but the town authorities tend to frown upon this sort of thing. The cat gives me a look from inside that says he knows an enemy when he sees one and that I had better stay clear of his windows. I apologize for involuntarily cursing out my own pet and stagger off to the back door to present my credentials to the guard. The same face that just shortened my life span by a year or so wants me to feed him. I'm on the inside now and back to servant or good guy status, take your pick. Later, the ill reaction to the adrenaline reaction takes hold. I want to cry, to shout, to poop, to pass out, or to just know what exactly is wrong with me. My theory is that I've just startled at next to nothing too many times. Admittedly, a cat's hiss is not the best of sounds and I'm already operating under this anxiety disorder. Perhaps the best solution is to give myself a break on the self-pity and self-criticism. I wonder how normal people do that.

Normal for the purposes of this little blog will be someone without post traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD. I named the blog Post Traumatic Distress because that is what I feel most of the time. I always wanted to rescue a damsel in distress, but I became the distressed one and the damsels all ran away from me. Along with 'Why me?' is the sneaking suspicion that I am all alone in this. That last bit is one of the symptoms of anxiety disorders. I am not alone, God is with me always and I have a lot of company in suffering PTSD. The VA supports me in spirit, if not in funds, and they will let me know, I hope, when the pill arrives.

We don't have the 'get over it' pill yet, and fortunately we have learned enough over the years to get away from most of the 'get over it' from the ignorant and stupid. I believe that in order to understand the distress of PTSD a person must know the suffering of it first hand, and I love my neighbors too much to wish that on them. A pill to just get over it would be nice, as it would with a whole bunch of illnesses both mental and physical. Until that time comes, or until Jesus calls us home, we suffer and learn and hopefully share to help each other. I started this blog some weeks ago, but couldn't write anything until today. Seem kind of stupid? Sure, that's why I agree that this thing is a disorder. I also agree that I should speak up more, or at least write up more. I hope to use some humor in this; there are more than enough blogs and discussion forums where all is serious about PTSD. Perhaps the next blog can be about the time I told the lovely lady in church that God brought her to me to be my distraction...without first explaining that distraction is a viable technique used in dealing with the maelstrom of anxious thinking. Oops!

God bless you,
Bucky

4 comments:

  1. I am a medically retired combat veteran w/ chronic severe PTSD, and I am anxious to speak with other combat PTSD survivors about adrenaline management. I have taken a path in a type of music therapy that has led me to becoming a drummer for a long-time live band in Nashville, and I need to hear what has worked for other combat PTSD survivors who need to manage adrenaline under high-pressure performance. I'm puking on stage during my shows, and I'm sure it's the adrenaline - as I am a practiced diaphragmatic breather who takes my drumming art and career too seriously to make a rookie mistake like not breathing well enough while playing (and I play intensely for up to an hour for a heavy metal show). You can reach me about this at therapydrummer@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a medically retired combat veteran w/ chronic severe PTSD, and I am anxious to speak with other combat PTSD survivors about adrenaline management. I have taken a path in a type of music therapy that has led me to becoming a drummer for a long-time live band in Nashville, and I need to hear what has worked for other combat PTSD survivors who need to manage adrenaline under high-pressure performance. I'm puking on stage during my shows, and I'm sure it's the adrenaline - as I am a practiced diaphragmatic breather who takes my drumming art and career too seriously to make a rookie mistake like not breathing well enough while playing (and I play intensely for up to an hour for a heavy metal show). You can reach me about this at therapydrummer@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com OR info@drituaherbalcenter.com. We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Hpv,Pile,Weak Erection,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy,Glaucoma.,Brain Tumor,psoriasis, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia. ,Bladder Cancer,Autism,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Tay tach disease,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, Seizures, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Stroke,Hpv,Weak Erection,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and eliminate diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome lifestyle Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and overall well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2010. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a cyclometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescriptions like: Insulin ,Sulfonamides,Thiazolidinediones but Could not get the cure rather to reduce the pain but bring back the pain again. i found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I also contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabetes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348142454860   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, GOUT, PROGENITOR, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE. HEARING  LOSSDr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal anybody that comes to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2349010754824

    ReplyDelete